As you may guess, no designers required for this task. Text ads are a format you can choose in paid search platforms, and it just needs text to create the ads. Google’s Search Network shows ads above and below the search results page, and they mimic the organic results.
The anatomy of text ads is headline, description and URL. Let’s take a closer look at them:
Headline: the most prominent part for people when they are skimming the result page. Up to three headlines with up to 30 characters each. The first two headline fields are required, and the third is optional when you are creating the ad. Tip: Include at least one keyword from your keyword list in your headline. Keywords in your ad text show your ad’s relevance to what people want.
Description: lets you highlight unique details about your product or service with two description fields with up to 90 characters each. On mobile, where the ad space is tiny, Google Ads show the highest-performing text. Tip: Highlight your unique business values, including exclusive offers and empowering customers to take action.
URL: shows your destination page address. It gives people a better idea of where they go when they click your ad. Optionally, you can include up to two paths with 15 characters each, for example, https://rod.marketing/optional/path. This path gives the user an idea of the content they will see. Tip: Match your ad to your landing page, and make sure that the promotions or products in your ad are there.
What are responsive search ads?
Responsive search ads allow you to create ads that adapt to show more relevant content to your customers depending on the search. You provide the headlines, descriptions and URLs, and Google Ads use them to assemble the ad variations that match users’ search terms. It’s an excellent opportunity to improve your ad performance and test different hypotheses.
The benefits of responsive search ads:
- Flexibility: Create flexible ads that adapt to device sizes, giving you optimal space to share your message with potential customers.
- Relevance: Save time by providing the assets, like headlines and descriptions, and let Google Ads show the most suitable combinations to your customers.
- Reach: Reach potential customers with a headline and description options that give your ads the chance to win in more auctions and match more search terms.
- Performance: Best performance by attracting clicks and conversions that your existing text ads aren’t capturing.
Steps to create text ads in Google Ads
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- In the page menu, on the left, select Ads & Extensions.
- Select the plus (+) button and choose the option Text Ad or Responsive Text Ad.
- Enter a headline, description and URLs. And remember that you can also enter Paths optionally. A preview of the mobile and desktop version of your ad will appear.
- When you’re satisfied with your new text ad, select Save Ad.
Remember that when you set rotate your ads to optimize for clicks or conversions, ad groups with three or more high-quality ads may receive up to 15% more clicks or conversions on average, compared to ad groups with one or two ads.
To reach potential customers effectively, text ads should be informative, relevant, and engaging. Your text ads are the front door to your business, so it’s essential to show the right message to the right customer.